Wednesday, August 31, 2016

I Don't Get Grown Up Coloring Books




Pop psychology tries to solve adult stress...yet again.

This time it is in the form of a beloved childhood staple -- coloring books.

I was at OfficeMax today and saw a display labeled "Coloring for Adults."




First off all, I do graphic design for a living. I also paint on canvas in my spare time. So the notion of taking up an artistic activity (for any reason) is alright by me.

In a world that has taught us yoga, meditation, and moderate amounts of wine are good for the soul, the pop culture profits are now pimping the mindful aspects of coloring.

Here's one article on the adult coloring trend, for example.

Many of these paisley-and-swirl-covered concoctions are marketed as a way to relieve stress. So many, in fact, that there are "parody" grown-up coloring books -- including one that features swear words for you to color.

Thumbing through the book titled "Everyone Loves Coloring Patterns" (on the shelf next to "Everyone Loves Coloring Birds"), some of the coloring sheets looked kind of interesting. Others, like this page of hexagons, look like something you'd use to torture prisoners. 



Now, before you throw a cup of herbal tea at me, and try to gouge my eyes with a colored pencil, let me explain.

I don't doubt that coloring is therapeutic for people. One of my mom's favorite things in life was a box of fresh Crayola crayons.

I just question the relaxation quotient derived from coloring intricate and tedious patterns.

Are they really relaxing? Or are they relaxing because a dozen news stories say it is so?

Part of the fun of coloring as a kid was a book of broadly printed strokes and fanciful pictures -- images of that took you away from regular life. 



Just because you are an adult doesn't mean you need some sort of "specially marketed collection" of coloring pages to feel "on trend" and "justified" in your desire to color.

This looks way more fun, less stressful, and is like $4 cheaper:


Read yesterday's blog post: Seats & Springs

No comments:

Post a Comment