Monday, September 5, 2016

"I Can't Go On Forever, And I Don't Really Want to Try"


Since I am a "nostalgia buff," you might assume I have some monumental memory watching Gene Wilder's candy maker in "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" at my local theatre. 

Sadly, the movie came out the year before I was born, so I don't have any recollections of the initial release, but I've seen the classic film in the intervening years (and my nieces love the movie). 

With the passing of Gene Wilder, people have been reminiscing on his filmography and favorite movie moments (my favorite was the 1979 comedy-western "The Frisco Kid" where Wilder starred alongside Harrison Ford). 

Aksarben Cinema (joncrunch.com's favorite Omaha movie theatre) will offer a screening of "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" on Thursday, Sept. 8 at 8 p.m. The event is FREE and open to the public. Seats are available on a first come, first served basis, and seating begins at 7:15 p.m. 

(The theatre is partnering with the University of Nebraska at Omaha's Office of Student Involvement to bring you the screening). 

The late movie critic Roger Ebert wrote: "'Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' is probably the best film of its sort since 'The Wizard of Oz.' It is everything that family movies usually claim to be, but aren't: Delightful, funny, scary, exciting, and, most of all, a genuine work of imagination."

For more information on the screening visit: https://www.facebook.com/events/126931631093401/ 

P.S. -- By the way, anyone else remember the Skrunch and Oompas candy they used to sell in the 1970s and 80s?


Oompa candy was revived in 2001, but appears to have been discontinued...again. 

"I can't go on forever, and I don't really want to try. So who can I trust to run the factory when I leave and take care of the Oompa Loompas for me? Not a grown up. A grown up would want to do everything his own way, not mine. So that's why I decided a long time ago that I had to find a child. A very honest, loving child, to whom I could tell all my most precious candy making secrets." - Gene Wilder in "Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory" (1971) 


1 comment:

  1. I remember seeing this movie when it came out - it was either at the Fox Theater or the Six West Theater (both were located in what is now Dick's Sporting Goods at the Westroads). I remember loving it then, and nothing has changed in the intervening years. I had heard Roald Dahl did not like the interpretation, but I can't think of one of his books to movie he did like.

    I was terrified when Slugworth filled the screen. I was sad when Charlie disappointed Willy Wonka. I was upset with Willy Wonka for being so hard on Charlie. I was filled with mirth and wonder throughout the film and was happy when Veruca Salt got her comeuppance.

    This movie holds a special place in my memories. Like several of Gene Wilder's roles, this was one my family would repeat lines when they fit the conversation.

    Hold your breath
    Make a wish
    Count to three

    Come with me
    And you'll be
    In a world of
    Pure imagination
    Take a look
    And you'll see
    Into your imagination
    We'll begin
    With a spin
    Traveling in
    The world of my creation
    What we'll see
    Will defy
    Explanation
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it
    Anything you want to, do it
    Wanta change the world?
    There's nothing
    To it
    There is no
    Life I know
    To compare with
    Pure imagination
    Living there
    You'll be free
    If you truly wish to be
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it
    Anything you want to, do it
    Wanta change the world?
    There's nothing
    To it
    There is no
    Life I know
    To compare with
    Pure imagination
    Living there
    You'll be free
    If you truly
    Wish to be


    ReplyDelete