Friday, September 9, 2016

An "Atomic Rancher" in Our Neighborhood



A Facebook memory popped up today from 2009. On that day, I purchased a copy of the magazine "Atomic Ranch" from our local Borders (which is now Omaha Public Library's hi-tech learning center DoSpace). 




I'd never heard of the magazine before. We live in a neighborhood that was developed in the 1950s and 60s -- and is full of little ranch houses of that era. The magazine focuses on midcentury modern homes, architecture, furniture and design -- a style that I am very fond of. 
As I thumbed through the pages, I noticed a house that is located a few blocks from us -- much to my surprise. I had admired the house when I would go on walks, and loved the cool retro vibe (from the outside).

According to the article, the home was built in 1961, and had been in deteriorating condition when purchased by the current homeowner. The owner spent three months renovating the home (...and discovered all sorts of surprises, including thousands of roaches during the reno, and a "fall out shelter" under the garage).

The home is apparently a one-of-kind design (dreamed up by the original owner and a local architect), and is decked out in retro furnishings. 


I just thought it was fun to see a home from our neighborhood -- which is largely composed of compact and affordable 1950s and 60s ranch houses -- featured in a national publication dedicated to midcentury design. 


The article has spurred me to learn more about the history of our neighborhood in the intervening years.

It's nice to see people who take the time to redo and preserve older homes.

(By the way, "Atomic Ranch" it is a cool magazine...so check it out if you get a chance...)


Read yesterday's blog post: "Phasers Locked"

2 comments: