Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Halloween Traditions


I’ll be the first to say that I’m not a big “holiday” kind of guy. 

Sure, I enjoy the various tropes associated with holidays throughout the year. I like light displays at Christmas. I enjoy fireworks on the Fourth of July. I eat turkey at Thanksgiving. 

I just don’t go “all in” emotionally on holidays. 

That said, Bridget and I have developed a number of traditions for holidays during the year. 

Over the past several years, Halloween has become one of those holidays. 

I like to decorate our yard each year. This year we cleaned out the garage in September (yay!) and were better able to access my collection of Halloween inflatables, so we’ve been rocking spooky decorations for a little over a month:


We tend to get a fair number of trick-or-treaters (around 60-70 a year), and we usually celebrate the experience by getting a pumpkin-shaped pizza from Godfather’s Pizza:


Some years our nieces come and help hand out candy to the kids. This picture is from 2013. Our niece Lauren dressed up as a “typical 80s girl” that year:


I tend to wear my Ghostbusters shirt … I've got it on again this year.

We also get season passes to Vala’s Pumpkin Patch each year. Vala’s isn’t your grandmother’s pumpkin patch (unless, of course, you are one of the Vala grandchildren), and I profiled the attraction in a 2016 blog post

This picture is from from 2014 when Bridget and I took our nieces Olivia and Julia (and one of their friends) to Vala’s on Oct. 31. I thought it was fun how the girls were locked arm-in-arm:


While our traditions might not seem like a lot, they are our traditions. They help make the season fun. 

Happy Halloween! 

No comments:

Post a Comment