Wednesday, April 5, 2023

Does the New “Pepsi x Peeps” Soda Taste Like Easter in a Bottle?


Two years ago, Pepsi announced a collaboration with Peeps to make an Easter-themed version of the popular (or is it “Peepular”?) soft drink — that tasted like the venerable holiday treat. 


This year, the special edition “Pepsi x Peeps” is available nationwide. It comes in both 20-ounce bottles (which I had for this review) and in 7.5-ounce mini-can multipacks (perfect for Easter gatherings). 

It’s been awhile since I have done a food-related blog post (novelty cereal being a popular staple here). I honestly don’t know why it has been so long — they are typically among the easiest blog posts to write. (I really need to remember that when I’m struggling to write a book review.) 

As I dive in here, let me say that I don’t typically drink the various colas on the market. I am a clear pop aficionado. I am a fan of Peeps, though, so I thought I should try this one. 


I reviewed Kellogg’s Peeps Cereal back in 2020 (read my review). While that cereal wasn’t perfect, it was “better than some of the other novelty cereals the manufacturer as produced.” 

Soooo... what does “Pepsi x Peeps” taste like? 

On first mouthful, you quickly realize it is a two-part experience. As the fizzy-brown liquid rolls over your tongue, it initially tastes like regular Pepsi. 

But as it moves through your palate, you sense the distinct flavor of marshmallows. It sort of tastes like a Toasted Marshmallow Jelly Belly. 

I had Bridget try it. She drinks Pepsi and Coke all the time (she’s basically addicted the caffeine). She thought it tasted like Diet Pepsi (diet “anything” is generally a “no go” around here).

What’s weird about the soda is that on subsequent gulps, you notice the marshmallow flavor less and less. You really need to take a moment between sips to appreciate the full-throated goodness of marshmallow flavor.

They recommend eating a piece of french bread to cleanse your palate in wine tasting, so maybe munching on a Peep or two between sips would help in this case. 

(NOTE: I tried this, and regretted it the same way I regret eating Long John Silvers during Lent.)

Even if you don’t care for Peeps (people have pretty definitive opinions about them), I don't think you’ll find too much to be offended about when it comes to “Pepsi x Peeps.” 

It certainly isn't as distinctive as Cherry Pepsi or Cherry Coke. It’s a fairly understated novelty pop. 

If you are having an Easter gathering, you might be wise to add “Pepsi x Peeps” soda to the menu. While it’s not quite “Easter in a Bottle,” it will make a great conversation piece. 

Happy Easter! 



No comments:

Post a Comment