Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Best of "Jon Crunch": Year 1


Here's where we're at...

Twelve months. Seventy-one posts. 


Not the output I was hoping for during the first year of the blog, but I think it is a pretty good start. 


There were a number of fun things I experienced in life the past year because of this blog -- things I wouldn't otherwise have tried and written about. 


In honor of the first year, I am going to share with you all the "Top 10" posts this past year (in terms of traffic) on the blog, as well as six additional posts I really liked (which should have had more traffic). 


The Top 10



1. "Envelopening: What Happened to Dean Blais?"  

In my mind, this ranks as one of the least exciting posts of the past 12 months. But, because it was an "unboxing" (well, envelope tearing) video about our UNO Hockey season tickets, we were able to share the post on our MavPuck.com social media channels. 

Dean Blais (who was the head coach of the team last season) wasn't featured in the ticket booklets, even though past players and coaches were included. 


Was that a snub? You'll have to decide for yourself, but it was almost prescient considering how "The Blaiser" was "let go" by the university this past season.



********************************


2. "'Dunkirk' Review: 'There's No Hiding From This Son."

I did a number of movie reviews this past year, and I'd like to thank Aksarben Cinema for sharing this review I did when "Dunkirk" was released -- that really helped the traffic counts for this review. 

I thought it was one of my better reviews, and I think it epitomizes the pattern and style I want to follow for future movie reviews. 

********************************

3. "Utah Trip, Part 1 -- One Guy, Seven Girls, and an RV"

This was a fun trip. This post, the first in a 4-part series, not only ranks as one of the most trafficked posts this past year, but it also one of my favorites.


********************************

4. "A Modern Day Treasure Hunt"  


This was a fun game. It also illustrates the power of social media, and raises questions about safety when it comes to anonymous "string pullers" sending people around the city in search of prizes. Kind of reminded me of the 2016 movie "Nerve."


********************************


5. "Why I Became a Cord Cutter"  


This post just keeps percolating along. I've done a few posts on the topic, and would like to do more posts, because people I talk to are increasingly interested these days in dropping traditional cable and satellite television subscriptions. 


********************************


I was really fond of the "Emerging Terrain" grain silo project, and appreciated the efforts of Anne Trumble and her supporters as they tried to make aging and derelict parts of our city interesting. We need more people starting those sorts of "conversations" within our community. 

********************************



7. "What Is A Pinning Ceremony?" 

The International Baccalaureate program is relatively new in high schools around the United States. My niece Lauren had my write a post on an IB tradition -- the "Pinning Ceremony"...


********************************



Don't hate me... I decided to do a fidget spinner post (at the height of the novelty's popularity) because I knew it would get clicks. But it turns out the post was kind of interesting... 

********************************

9. "'Victoria': Is This Brit Import Worthy of 'Downton Abbey's' Timeslot?" 

There are two British period dramas focusing on the "Royal Family" that I enjoyed this past year (the other is Netflix's "The Crown," which I also reviewed). "Victoria" is a co-production of PBS's Masterpiece label, and Brit broadcaster ITV. 


Not only did I review the first season of "Victoria" in this post, I also outlined how Bridget and I were able to binge watch it on Apple TV via PBS Passport (which is available to PBS donors). 



********************************

10. "Utah Trip, Part 4 -- Stranded, Slurpees, Trolley Square, Burgers, and a Tonka Truck"  


The fourth part of our trip west (for the Tour of Utah) proves that even in the face of a big ol' SNAFU, you can find a way to have fun... 

Bonus Picks

Bonus #1. "I Don't Get Grown-Up Coloring Books" 



I liked this post because it was kind of snarky and biting. It also irritated some of my Facebook friends who are are grown-up coloring book afficionados...

Bonus #2. "The Sightseeing Complication" 



I learned last September that I am prone to having claustrophobic panic attacks in confined, underground rail systems... on humid days. Who knew? 

Bonus #3. "These Kids are 'Sharp...Cheddar Sharp'"



There are some really talented kids making films in Omaha...and my niece Julia is one of them.  

Bonus #4. "'Baby Driver' -- Car Chases, iPods, Blondes and 1990s Cool"



I absolutely loved this movie -- my favorite of the summer. I saw it four times at Aksarben Cinema (and wish that I'd seen it a fifth). I was able to pick out a lot more subtlety and nuance the more I saw the movie, and would have written a much better review after multiple viewings. But this review will give you an idea about why I loved this movie so much. 

Bonus #5. "I've Been Slimed!" 



What's summer without a fun project? My niece Veronica is our family's slime expert. It's pretty cool. I just wish we'd done a "how to" video on making slime. 

Bonus #6. "'We Can Rebuild It. We Have the Technology." 



There's nothing better than crawling up into the attic and running new coaxial cable from a long-forgotten, 1960s-era antenna to receive rock solid HD signals from the local TV affiliates! 

So there you have it!

Missed my most recent blog post? Check it out here: "Eclipse Anomalies Create TV Reception Oddities?"



No comments:

Post a Comment