Thursday, December 24, 2020

Should Kellogg’s The Elf on the Shelf Cereal Become a Christmas Tradition?


I love writing cereal reviews. 

They're short, quick, and easy. I get to eat what amounts to a bowl of sugar. 

As a special holiday treat, I am reviewing Kellogg’s The Elf on the Shelf “Vanilla Candy Cane Cookie with Marshmallows” Cereal (that was a mouthful). The logo on the box reads “OFFICIAL CEREAL OF THE NORTH POLE”... (that’s a bold claim).  

I tend to enjoy the various peppermint-themed Christmas foods. Peppermint stick ice cream is one that immediately comes to mind. 

I was hoping this would be the cereal equivalent of peppermint stick ice cream. It “kind of” is. 

The cereal itself features grain-based stars and peppermint marshmallows (little ones, like the mallows featured in hot chocolate mix). 


I tasted a star and a marshmallow by themselves to begin. Honestly, I was a bit underwhelmed. I was expecting them to have a solid mint taste (like a Peppermint LifeSavers Candy). 

Instead, I was faced with something much more “muted.” The star didn’t have much flavor, and the marshmallow was too small to make an informed judgment. At that point, I wasn’t sure what to expect. 


Then I added milk to the bowl and ate a spoonful. The effect was better, and tasted more minty (it still wasn’t quite what I was hoping for). 

The box doesn’t feature any games or activities, but there is a “story” (done to “‘Twas the night before Christmas”) telling how the cereal was made. 


There is a website you can visit for more information – www.elfontheshelf.com/kelloggs

The site has a page for “Parents” with information on the cereal (they also have Kellogg’s The Elf on the Shelf “Sugar Cookie Cereal with Marshmallows” Cereal). You can also select a “Kids” page that has games and activities. 

Overall, Kellogg’s The Elf on the Shelf “Vanilla Candy Cane Cookie with Marshmallows” Cereal was alright, but nothing spectacular. I don’t think it is worthy of becoming a Christmas tradition... 

I will say that it is the first Christmas-themed cereal I have sampled, so I’ll have to sample some new ones next year. 

Until my next cereal review, I hope those of you celebrating have a very Merry Christmas! 


No comments:

Post a Comment