Monday, May 4, 2020

Is the Force Strong With the Latest "Star Wars" Cereal?


May The 4th Be With You! 

I think I finally found a novelty breakfast cereal that doesn’t suck. 

Before your lightsabers start glowing, let me qualify this by saying that General Mills “Star Wars”-themed cereal isn’t to breakfast what “The Empire Strikes Back” is to the “Star Wars” saga. 

I’d say this cereal is the sugary equivalent of “The Force Awakens.” It’s fun, it tastes good, and it won’t offend you. 

When I first saw the “Star Wars” cereal box, I assumed it would be the “Star Wars” version of General Mills’ venerable Lucky Charms Cereal. 


I was wrong. The marshmallows are similar, but instead of the toasted oat pieces found in Lucky Charms, the crunchy pieces in the “Star Wars” Cereal are “fruity flavored.” 

In that regard, the overall effect is closer to General Mills’ “monster” cereals like Franken Berry (a personal favorite of mine). As a result, I liked this incarnation of “Star Wars” cereal. 

This isn’t the first time I’ve had cereal from a “galaxy far, far away.” 

The first “Star Wars”-branded cereal I recall having was Kellogg’s C-3PO Cereal. I was 11 when it was introduced in 1984 (it was produced until 1986). Sadly, I didn’t have a blog back then, so I have no recollection about what it tasted like. 

Here is a commercial for that cereal from “a long time ago”... 


The marshmallow pieces in General Mills “Star Wars” Cereal come in five shapes: Jedi Starfighter, BB-8, Lightsaber, R2-D2, Stormtrooper.


As is commonly the case with these sort of novelty cereals, there is an activity on the back of the box. In this instance, “Kylo Ren commands you to repair the First Order’s TIE fighters by finding the correct location” for three parts on the ship’s schematics:


While the activity isn’t as interesting as some of the games (or the key that allowed you to determine your “unicorn name” on Kellogg’s Unicorn Cereal), it might amuse your little ones. 

Going into my review of General Mills “Star Wars” Cereal, I figured I’d be saying, “I have a bad feeling about this.” Honestly, it wasn’t bad at all. Each spoonful got my Midi-chlorians jumping and I soon felt “strong enough to pull the ears off a gundark.” 

It made me wonder what the experience would be like with blue milk. 

(If you don’t understand any of the jargon I just referenced, you’re clearly not the intended audience for this cereal…) 


That’s all I have for this cereal review. Until next time... spoons up, bowls at the ready, and may the Force be with you! 



No comments:

Post a Comment