Monday, December 30, 2019

My Top 10 Blog Posts of 2019


With 2020 nearly upon us, I thought I’d share “My Top 10 Blog Posts of 2019.” 

This list is based purely on traffic numbers for the posts published in 2019. As a result, some of my favorite posts didn’t make the cut. 

Keep in mind, the blog posts published earlier in the year have had the advantage of time as it regards overall views. (Sorry, Mandalorian.)

#1 - “BOOK REVIEW: CHIP DAVIS’S ‘THE WOLF AND THE WARLANDER TRILOGY’”


I enjoyed having the opportunity to read and review this YA fantasy series (about a wolf named Seti and a horse named Ghost) by Mannheim Steamroller impresario Chip Davis. In my review, I wrote: “‘The Wolf and the Warlander’ is an engaging fiction saga from one of this generation’s beloved musicians.” 

Not only was it my most viewed post of 2019, it is the second most viewed post *all time* on the blog:


#2 - “IS ‘FROZEN 2’ TRAILER BASICALLY A REMAKE OF ‘THE LAST JEDI’ TEASER?”


People probably wonder why I take the time to review trailers. First off, I’ve loved movie trailers since a young age. Secondly, sharing thoughts on trailers is content that is fairly easy to create. As I watched the Feb. 13 teaser trailer for “Frozen II,” it reminded me a lot of the teaser for “Star Wars: The Last Jedi”: 


#3 - “REVIEW: ‘COBRA KAI’ SEASON 2 IS AN EMOTIONAL KICK IN THE GUT” 


I absolutely adore YouTube’s “Karate Kid” reboot/sequel series “Cobra Kai.” The show has the ability to be poignant, sentimental, funny, and intense — all in a single episode. Ralph Macchio and William Zabka are brilliant reprising their roles as Daniel LaRusso and Johnny Lawrence. 

Well worth your time:

#4 - “LET’S TALK ABOUT THAT NEW ‘TOY STORY 4’ TRAILER”


As I mentioned earlier, trailer reviews seem to be pretty good fodder for blog posts, and my review of the second trailer for “Toy Story 4” apparently struck a chord with viewers.

(I’ll never understand why trailer reviews are sometimes more popular than my reviews of the movies they’re promoting, but here we are…)


#5 - “‘SURPRISE! WE’RE GOING ON VACATION!’ - DISNEY TRIP: PART 1” 


Our trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, was definitely a highlight this year. You can vicariously enjoy the experience via my six-part series on the trip: 


Disney Trip: Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 

#6 - “BOOK REVIEW: ‘TRUE BELIEVER’ BY JACK CARR” 


Jack Carr is one of the best new thriller writers in the business today. His series featuring former Navy SEAL James Reece has become a favorite of mine.

In my review, I wrote: “Carr’s attention to detail in the novel is excellent, and his life as a former special operator lends authenticity to the story”:  


#7 – “THE OMAHA WORLD-HERALD: A LOOK INTO THE FUTURE”


An Omaha Press Club presentation (by OWH staff) regarding the future of Omaha’s venerable daily newspaper was the subject of a Jan. 17 blog post. If you are at all curious about the future of daily newspapers — and what lengths papers are going to attract and retain readers — you’ll want to check out my blog post:


#8 - “MOVIE REVIEW: ‘CAPTAIN MARVEL’” 


“Captain Marvel” didn’t rank as my favorite superhero movie in 2019. I wrote in my review that the movie “could have been so much more.” That said, I enjoyed the movie more on a second viewing. It stands as my most-viewed movie review of the year:


#9 - “MY SPOILER-FILLED REVIEW OF ‘AVENGERS: ENDGAME’”


My second most-viewed movie review of 2019 was “Avengers: Endgame.” I wrote that “I got misty eyed at several points during ‘Avengers: Endgame.’” 

I also suggested that “Feige & Co. were milking the poignant moments so the payoff at the end would be worth the wait. But it works. It always works in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.” 


#10 - “BOOK REVIEW: CONTAGIOUS THRILLS IN ‘VINCE FLYNN — LETHAL AGENT’ BY KYLE MILLS” 


Mitch Rapp has been like a rock for me (and millions of readers) when it comes to the world of kick-ass thriller protagonists. Author Kyle Mills has continued the series made popular by the late Vince Flynn. I love the results.

In my review I wrote: “‘Lethal Agent’ epitomizes the best the Mitch Rapp series has to offer. Mills gives readers a thrilling scenario with classic elements that will leave fans thirsting for more.” 

Bridget and I were both picked to be #MitchRappAmbassadors (for the first time) this year, and had the opportunity to read “Lethal Agent” in advance. 


========================================

I just want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read and share my posts since I first started this blog in 2016. You’ll never know how much that means to me. The support of family, friends, and fans has made this blog a lot of fun. 

I also want to thank those who have provided me with books to review on the blog. It is an honor to be able to read these wonderful stories and share my thoughts with readers around the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment