Thursday, March 14, 2019

Did the Latest “Avengers: Endgame” Trailer Leave You Misty Eyed?


The latest trailer for “Avengers: Endgame” dropped today. 

First off, this trailer doesn’t really break “too much” new ground from either the December trailer or the Super Bowl spot. 

That said, I could watch Black Widow (ScarJo) reload and shoot her Glock 26 for three hours and be perfectly happy...


I got kind of emotional watching the new “Avengers: Endgame” trailer. No other franchise the past decade has meant more to the theatrical box office than the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 

Kevin Feige & Co. have created a rich universe at Marvel Studios. Fans (like myself) actually care about the characters. They’ve done a terrific job crafting a franchise that is much more than the sum of its parts. 

Granted, some movies in the MCU are better than others. Will “Avengers: Endgame” be the best of the lot?

We won’t know until April 26, but there are some nice moments in the latest trailer. 

I liked the early black-and-white images reflecting on the past (which featured moments from Phase 1 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe). I have fond memories of those early years before everything tied together in “The Avengers” in 2012. 

I remember going to see “Captain America: The First Avenger” at the midnight show. I loved how director Joe Johnston (“The Rocketeer”) handled the movie. I saluted Marvel then — and salute them again — for having the guts to do a World War II movie (instead of trying to shoehorn the Steve Rogers story into a modern-day conflict). 


I loved the shot of Scott Lang (Paul Rudd) walking through a neighborhood looking at “missing person” fliers affixed to a pole. It’ll be interesting to see how he escapes the “Quantum Realm” (where he was trapped at the end of “Ant-Man and the Wasp”). 


Clint Barton (Jeremy Renner) is back in full force in “Avengers: Endgame.” I missed having Hawkeye in “Avengers: Infinity War,” and am glad to have him back. 


I gotta be honest, this shot of Barton on his farm with his daughter shooting a bow and arrow brings all the feels. I’m just imagining her turning to ashes at the beginning of the movie, leaving Barton heartbroken and ready to seek revenge:


It’s obvious from the trailer that Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) and Nebula (Karen Gillan) make it back from Titan (where they were stuck at the end of “Avengers: Infinity War”) to fight alongside the surviving Avengers. 


There is a shot of Rocket on War Machine’s shoulder in the trailer (I remember when some people were skeptical of a talking raccoon prior to the release of “Guardians of the Galaxy”... it’s amazing how Rocket has become one of the best characters in the MCU):


We also get a shot of Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) at the end of the trailer. I’m not going to give anything away, but if you haven’t yet seen “Captain Marvel” (and watched the included Easter eggs during the credits) be sure to do so before “Avengers: Endgame” is released at the end of April.


I can’t wait for April 26. In the meantime, I can watch the second trailer over and over and over and over... (I think there might be another trailer before the movie is released!)




No comments:

Post a Comment