Monday, December 25, 2017

My Friend Jay's Cool Christmas Light Display


If you like holiday light displays (I mean, who doesn’t?), and if you live in the Omaha-metro area, then you should definitely check out my friend Jay’s display at his home in Council Bluffs, IA. 

Jay and I go way back. We became friends back in the mid-1980s when my family moved to a neighborhood north of Crossroads Mall, and I started attending Westbrook Middle School (which had been renamed “middle school” from “junior high” when they added 6th grade to the mix in 1984). 

There is a unique bond between Westbrook alums. It’s sort of hard to describe if you aren’t familiar with the history of Westside Community Schools in Omaha, but there was something special about that experience, and it seems to stick with those who attended the school back during that era. 

The nice thing about social media is that it gives you the opportunity to catch up with old friends. 

Each year, Jay dutifully posts about his musical light display. Last year, my wife, nieces, and I decided to check it out. 

We visited twice in 2016, and we’ve visited twice (so far) in 2017. It’s a fun new Christmas tradition for my family — and the cool thing is that the creator is someone Bridget and I know.

Jay was kind enough to come outside and see us on our most recent visit. He was sporting a blinking-light necklace, and served candy canes to our crew. 


He and I talked about the technology behind his display, and some of his plans for next year’s show. 

We also talked about how he does “Letters to Santa” during a portion of the display’s run each season, and has a drop box ensconced by the display.

I love creative efforts by hobbyists, and the days and weeks that go into the setup of these sorts of light displays is mind boggling. 


I’m happy there are people like Jay willing to invest that time to spread a little holiday cheer each season. It’s definitely the thing I look most forward to each Christmas. Be sure to check out his display if you’re touring lights this week:

3425 6th Avenue
Council Bluffs, IA

Here is a video I took of the “Amazing Grace” portion of Jay’s display. My sincerest apologies for the “low volume level” — I was standing outside of the car when I recorded it, so the music from Jay’s low-power radio signal wasn’t as loud as if I’d been in the vehicle. The total show runs 15 to 20 minutes. 

(Also... you can hear my nieces Julia and Lauren giggling in the background):



Previous post: Movie Review: Lady Bird


No comments:

Post a Comment