Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Why Are These A Thing?



The first time I saw a "fidget spinner" was when one of my nieces was over at my house. I hadn't heard of them before, and didn't think a whole lot about it when I saw it. 

The toys apparently are this year's adolescent fad. 


My dad (who is not an adolescent) purchased the fidget spinner I'm holding in the picture above -- at a gas station. I told him I wanted to do a blog post about fidget spinners...so he dropped it by...


There are claims that the spinners relieve anxiety and soothe the symptoms of ADHD. There are also claims stating that those claims are a load of bull. 


Fidget spinners have been banned at various schools for being a distraction. 


I saw a post today on Facebook demonstrating how the washer-like metal circles are a potential choking hazard (the "fun police" are never too far from a new fad).  


I've spent the last four days with this white fidget spinner. I must admit that I feel more anxious since it has been in our home. I'm not sure that is the fault of the spinner, but I feel obliged to be truthful about my current mood since the spinner and I are in close proximity. 




I mean, I guess it's cool to watch it spin. 


I'm not altogether sure why they have become so popular. It doesn't really do a whole lot. My dad said he likes to start it spinning, and then take a pencil and see if he can perfectly thread it through one of the three spinning holes. 


Maybe this is how people felt about the Slinky when it was introduced in the 1940s -- "Look Ethel! That spring can walk itself down a staircase. Shazam!" 


The spinners retail online with prices ranging from a couple bucks all the way up to $15 dollars. (Pro tip: Don't pay $15 for one of these things.) 


I guess there are worse things your daughters and sons could be interested in. In a way, it is heartening that something so "old school" is so popular in 2017. 


Maybe that's the appeal. In a society that revolves around intently looking and tapping on LED screens, there is a certain retro charm in an item that is the epitome of analog amusements. 


Check out my previous post: These Kids Are "Sharp … Cheddar Sharp"


No comments:

Post a Comment