Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Why I Don't Talk About Politics


"Less is more..." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe 

I don't talk about politics.

I don't post about politics.

I don't even really like to read about politics these days.

If my Facebook feed is any indication, the social media giant can be a lonely place if you aren't inclined to regurgitate political commentary...over...and over...and over...

It is certainly within one's right to post about politics.

The issue is whether there is anything inherently noble or productive in the pursuit, and whether any of us are reliably educated about the major issues of the day.

To put it in perspective, I have run a UNO Hockey fan forum for 16 years. Some people have said, "Jon, you should have more insightful game analysis on your site."

Sounds great, but when I am at a game, I am sitting in the stands with family and friends, laughing, visiting, snacking on concessions, and monitoring Twitter.

Any analysis I do will be compromised as a result.

The same holds true for politics. We are so ensconced in our own "bubbles" that we don't take the time to consider there might actually be a point of view different than our own.

But I see so many "armchair geniuses" out there -- people who are trusting the opinions of people who make a living doing nothing more than espousing opinions.

See where I am going here?

If we were smart, we'd take the time to look at our lives and decide what we thought based on our own experiences, instead of being automatons in the army called "groupthink."

Talk is cheap.

Rather than constantly talking about what you're going to do, talk about what you've actually done.

Have you been involved in improving your community? Have you taken up a cause in an earnest way?

If your only contribution to the world is sharing a hyperlink, a Facebook post, or a tweet, have you really done anything at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment